We have decided there are lots of things we can do individually and as a family to share our bounty of blessings. Here are few that we will be doing and I’d love to know what you have done with your family that has worked!
- Neighborhood Clean up – we are thankful to live near a beautiful beach and decided that we can easily spare some of our free time helping care and nurture our environment. I was inspired by a friend of mine to order a couple of trash pickers from Amazon. The kids are fascinated by them and by the amount of trash we collected in a short period of time. Of course, you don’t need trash pickers, but I do recommend using kitchen gloves (and if you can find a recyclable bag to use, even better!).
- Toy Drive – we are thankful for having toys to play with and want to help children in need have something special to unwrap this holiday season. I recommend reaching out to a local shelter and asking about ways you and your family can help. We are organizing our very own collection in our neighborhood to help the Lotus House – please click on the link to learn more about their mission and support them if you can. Here’s the flyer we created!
- Closet Clean Out – speaking of toys, we are grateful for the toys we have been able to play with over the years and want to share those as well. We spent an entire weekend going through every nook & cranny, every bin and box to find every last toy. We found a lot! (And, we really need to think about how we can find more joy with less!) Our Holiday Toy Drive won’t accept used toys, so we are donating bags of toys to friends and churches. Our bags of gently loved books will go to our public library which accepts used books!
- Send Thank You cards! Actually saying thank you is a great way to bring more gratitude into our lives so I dug out a big box of thank you cards and we are sending belated notes thanking everyone for our birthday gifts. Yes, me too! I need to keep showing them that you’re never too old to say thank you!
So with that, thank YOU for reading this blog post and for all of your supportive comments here on the blog and on my social media outlets!
Here are some of our favorite activities for kids this time of year that don’t involve Hand Turkeys!!!🦃:
- Gratitude Conversation Starters: https://creativefamilyfun.net/gratitude-conversation-starters/
- I am Thankful For Free Printable Worksheet: https://www.papertraildesign.com/i-am-thankful-for-worksheet-free-printable/#_a5y_p=6739650
- Gratitude Scavenger Hunt: https://www.naturalbeachliving.com/gratitude-scavenger-hunt/
- Free Printable Thankfulness Cards: https://withprintables.com/my-thankful-cards-free-printable-thankfulness-activity-kids-will-love/